Lisbon Art: Azulejos (tiles)



One things that I really enjoyed seeing all over Lisbon were the painted tiles. I like how these tiles were on the outside of building and were made for everyone to see them. You can tell that a lot of hard work and times goes into each tiles. One thing I notices about a lot of tiles I have seen that they have the colors white, green, or many shades of blue incorporated in to the painting. It makes them pop up and remind me of summer and the beach. The design are usually some type of flowers, some wavy lines and unique abstract shapes. I like how the tiles are made for the public and are a huge part of Lisbon.

I think the painted tiles are important historically and culturally. Historically, the tiles, which are known as azulejos, are from the Iberian Peninsula. Portuguese were amazed by the tiles and decided to adapt it into their culture and architect (Portugal-the-simple-life). The tiles show important events in Portugal or told stories about their culture. They are made to stand out in the city and to show what is important to Lisbon through art. They can portray anything in the tiles and show what they believe is important religiously or culturally. They are also now a huge part of their architecture and play a part that art shouldn't be hidden.

I think that azulejos, the painted tiles, strengthen Lisbon status as a cultural capital by attracting people to the unique architect and using art pieces to build their city. The tiles are all over Lisbon's building and brings this stunning, unique view to the city. It brightens up Lisbon and shows that art/painting helps make a city a cultural capital. Like how Brussels show cases graffiti (murals) all over the city building, Lisbon showcases azulejos. It shows that art is a part of Lisbon and they want everyone to see it and be amazed by it. They can also use it to show what make Lisbon the capital of Portugal by showing other aspect that make a city a cultural capital like religion and history. They can paint stories and symbol into the tiles to show that. All of that make Lisbon a cultural capital of Portugal.


Comments

  1. I like that you chose to talk about the tiles! I agree that they brighten the city and make it more apealing and nice! I also feel like they unify the city because it is an artistic style that is found allll over. Plus like you said it ties back to their history. All of these things contribute to Lisbon's status as a cultural captial. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you talked about the tiles in this blog post. Those tiles were definitely something that contributed to the culture, architecture, and overall beauty of Portugal. I love that you mention the history of them and how they tell the stories of Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog post Audrey! I love the art you chose to write about! I love all the tiles that are used in Lisbon. It gives the city such a fun and unique look. I think that Lisbon plays into this iconic look and it helps to contribute to their cultural capital. Whenever I see cool tiles now I automatically think of Portugal and I am sure other people are the same way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome!

Palais Garnier (Opera House) (4/30/24)

Simone de Beauvoir